Collection: IATF Requirement Axes
This is our collection of axes that meet the requirements set forth by the National Axe Throwing Federation.
Standard Throwing Axe (Hatchet) Requirements: see image 2.1 below
- The handle must be made from wood;
- The axe must be a single bit blade, ie: no blade or sharpened spike may be protruding from the back of the axe head.
The length must be a minimum of 13” long and cannot exceed a maximum of 17” long:
- This measurement begins from the bottom (butt) of the handle to the top of the axe head. See Image 2.1 (2.1.2);
- If any of the handle protrudes from the top of the axe head (eye) it does not count towards the minimum or maximum handle length. See Image 2.1 (2.1.1).
- The length must be a minimum of 13” long and cannot exceed a maximum of 17” long:
- The axe must weigh between 1.5 and 2.5 pounds of total weight (handle included).
- The face (blade) of the axe must be no longer than 4″ and no shorter than 3” and must be fixed to the handle of the axe with an eye-wedge or a pin (ie: no ‘floating’ axe heads where the head itself is wedged on a tapering handle and only held there through gravity.)
- The axe head must have a minimum height of 1.5” as measured parallel to the handle.
- The axe head may have a maximum length (from face to butt) of 6.5”